Last updated on May 14th, 2019
Testosterone Boosting Supplements – A Complete Guide
This article provides information about testosterone boosters and what you should look for when choosing a supplement. Supplements of this type are popular with men from all walks of life.
Some men take testosterone boosters to improve muscle growth. Others use them to give their sex life a boost. There are also a lot of men who use testosterone boosting supplements to invigorate their bodies and try and defy the aging process.
From the age of 30, most men lose 1% of their testosterone each year. By the age of 80, half their testosterone may be gone, so there is a lot to be said for using testosterone boosters.
Testogen is our number 1 choice – a seriously good product produced and distributed by a respected supplement manufacturer. Whatever your reason for wanting a testosterone boost, it’s going to deliver. With such a strong blend of ingredients under the hood, it is a premier product and highly recommended
What Is Testosterone and Why Is It so Important?
Testosterone is the male sex hormone. Men produce most of their testosterone in the Leydig cells in their testicles. The adrenal glands also secrete a little testosterone.
It’s the hormone that provides men with a deep voice and encourages facial hair and other manly traits.
Believe it or not, women have testosterone in their bodies as well, but in much lesser quantities. They produce it in their ovaries, alongside the female sex hormone, estrogen. Like men, women also produce a little testosterone via their adrenal glands.
Apart from being the male sex hormone, testosterone is also an anabolic steroid that’s crucial for muscle growth and repair. It plays a number of other important roles in the body too.
The best testosterone boosters contain natural ingredients that increase testosterone production.
However, although boosting testosterone can provide a lot of other benefits, most men who buy supplements that increase testosterone do so due to a desire to:
- Increase/maintain muscle size
- Become stronger
- Enjoy a healthier sex life
- Feel more vital and alive
How Testosterone Boosting Influences Muscle Growth
As already stated earlier in this article, testosterone boosters are very popular with bodybuilders who are doing their best to get maximum muscle growth.
Exercise breaks down muscle tissue. Due to its “heavy” nature, weight training is particularly good for this. However, it’s really only a trigger that initiates muscle growth.
Exercise traumatizes the muscles and causes tiny tears in the muscle fibers. These tears then have to be repaired. The body does this via a process known as protein synthesis and it always makes the affected area a little bigger and stronger than it was before.
If it wasn’t for the body’s tendency to overcompensate on the repair, bodybuilding would not work. All those hours in the gym would be like banging your head against the wall.
During protein synthesis, the body takes the amino acids that are pumped to the muscle via the blood and uses them to repair the damage by creating fresh muscle tissue. That’s why amino acids are often called the building blocks of protein.
Protein synthesis is controlled by a number of different hormones. Testosterone is the most important one of all. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2917954
The Role of Testosterone In Protein Synthesis
Testosterone directly influences muscle growth by binding to receptors on the muscle cells. Then it begins amplifying the biochemical signals responsible for causing protein synthesis.
Testosterone also boosts human growth hormone (HGH) production. HGH also plays an important role in protein synthesis and these two important “growth factor” hormones appear to have symbiotic nature.
By supporting and enhancing protein synthesis in the way that it does, testosterone enables the muscle to heal faster after training. It helps them grow bigger and stronger.
Once you are aware of the important role testosterone plays in protein synthesis, it’s easy to understand how low testosterone can hinder muscle growth. It’s also easier to see how beneficial good testosterone boosters can be.
Importance as a Sex Hormone
In its role as the male sex hormone, testosterone helps turn young boys into men. However, it remains just as important after sexual development is complete.
Testosterone helps regulate and sexual desire. It also supports fertility by helping maintain sperm quality, volume, and mobility.
In addition to the role it plays in supporting male fertility, testosterone is linked to sexual performance and stamina.
Most men who think back to their teen-years will be able to remember the day when erections came very easily, sometimes at the most inappropriate times.
Up until their early 30s, most healthy males still have high sex drives and seldom have trouble getting and maintaining an erection.
Then, as testosterone levels dwindle ever lower, sex becomes less interesting and erection quality may begin to suffer.
Researchers are still struggling to understand the relationship between testosterone and the male sex drive, but they know that it’s there.
Strangely enough, some men can retain a healthy sex drive when their testosterone level is relatively low. However, if the level becomes too low, virtually all men will notice a decline in their sex drive. https://www.webmd.com/men/how-low-testosterone-can-affect-your-sex-drive#1
At the age of 50, the average man may be struggling with a testosterone level that’s 35-40% lower than it was during his 20s.
Testosterone stimulates nitric oxide production in the penile tissues. This initiates several reactions that cause erection.
Many mid-life men find the quality of their erection is no longer what it once was. They may also have difficulties maintaining an erect state for very long or simply have little or no desire to have sex. A lot of men suffer in silence and their partners suffer alongside them.
However, when sexual desire and performance are impacted by low testosterone, a good testosterone booster may help.
14 Signs and Symptoms of Low Testosterone
- Difficulty getting an erection
- Hair loss
- Testicle shrinkage
- Loss of bone mass
- Difficulty sleeping
- Lack of sexual desire
- Reduction in semen volume
- Hot flushes
- Loss of muscle mass
- Low energy and fatigue
- Weight gain
- Man boobs
- Mood swings
All of these symptoms can also be caused by any number of reasons. The only way to be sure low testosterone is the problem is by visiting a doctor and undergoing a medical examination.
Can Testosterone Levels Get Too High?
High testosterone is not really a problem for men. If levels are high it is probably the result of using powerful testosterone boosters or hormone treatments.
Men who have testosterone levels that are higher than normal may tend to be over-sexed. They might also be very dominant and self-assured and will, no doubt, do well in sports. It’s unlikely that most men will consider any of these things a cause for concern.
High testosterone can present a lot of problems for women though. Apart from affecting their menstrual periods, it can cause them to develop male characteristics.
On a mental level, women with high testosterone may become more dominant. On a physical level, they develop deeper voices and start sprouting facial hair.
Too much testosterone in a woman can also enlarge the clitoris. In very bad cases it may start to resemble a small penis.
These kind of problems are only likely to put in an appearance when women use steroids or powerful testosterone boosters. However, there’s a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome and it can elevate a woman’s testosterone level too. https://www.pulselearningseminars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/PCOS.pdf
Things that Can Make Your Testosterone Levels Plummet
The aging process is not the only thing that reduces testosterone. Certain foods can bring levels down. So can excess body fat. That may sound unlikely, but it’s true. It increases estrogen.
Estrogen: What You Need to Know
Estrogen is the female sex hormone. Just as women have a little testosterone in their bodies, men produce estrogen. It’s necessary for good health.
Men who don’t have enough estrogen are more likely to fall victim to osteoporosis and weak bones. Too much estrogen presents its fair share of problems too.
When a man has too much estrogen he is more likely to become susceptible to an enlarged prostate. It can cause other difficulties as well.
The thing to know is, estrogen lowers testosterone. It’s due to the enzyme armoatase, which converts testosterone to estrogen.
When estrogen levels increase in a man he’s more likely to build up stores of fat. This leads to a vicious circle because most of the aromatase in a man is in his body fat. Especially the fat around his mid-section.
So when a man is overweight he is more likely to have high estrogen and low testosterone.
Some Foods You Need to Avoid
There are a number of common foods that interfere with testosterone production.
Here’s a list of some of the ones you need to avoid.
- Licorice: The Dutch call licorice “drop”. That’s very appropriate because eating this popular kind of candy can make your testosterone levels do just that. Licorice contains glycyrrhetinic acid. It’s also added to certain other types of candy as well as some medications. A number of clinical trials show the glycyrrhetinic acid in licorice can reduce testosterone levels in women and men. Some men who ate licorice over a seven-day period saw their testosterone levels plummet by 26%.
- Alcohol: Enjoying an occasional drink is unlikely to cause problems. In fact, some research suggests a small amount of alcohol may actually boost testosterone. However, long-term heavy-drinking affects the endocrine system and disrupts testosterone production. When the body is processing the ethanol in alcohol it lowers a coenzyme in the liver and testes. It’s called NAD+ and it’s essential for healthy testosterone production. Alcohol also releases endorphins that cause further problems. It increases estrogen too, so boozehounds beware. https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/alcohol-abuse/alcohol-and-testosterone
- Soy: Soy and soy-based products such as tofu and soy milk can also make your testosterone levels take a dive. Soy is high in phytoestrogens. These are plant-based compounds that mimic the effect of estrogen.
- Nuts: Certain types of nut, including walnuts and almonds, appear to increase levels of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). Some studies show they may increase it by up to 16%. SHBG is a type of protein that binds with testosterone, essentially trapping it so it cannot be put to use.
Testosterone Boosting Foods
Some of the best natural testosterone boosters are foods. So, it’s not just a case of knowing which foods to avoid. It also pays to know the right ones to choose.
- Oats: A bowl of oatmeal can be a very good way to start the day. Oats contain avenacosides that stimulate the release of luteinizing hormone. This, in turn, encourages the body to produce more testosterone.
- Fish Oil: Tuna, salmon, and some other fish provide oils that increase luteinizing hormone. In addition to this, the same oils suppress the activity SHBG.
- Brazil Nuts: Walnuts and almonds may be bad for testosterone, but Brazil nuts are good. They are an excellent source of magnesium. Research shows 750 mg of magnesium per day may increase free testosterone by up to 26%.
- Bananas: Easy to peel and tasty to eat, bananas are a good source of B Vitamins, which support testosterone production. Bananas also provide bromelain, which helps with digestion and may boost the libido too.
- Cruciferous Vegetables: Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts are all cruciferous vegetables. Apart from being an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and natural fiber, cruciferous vegetables help you excrete a type of estrogen called estradiol and help increase testosterone.
- Oysters: Most people are aware of the reputation oysters have as an aphrodisiac. It has been suggested their libido-boosting potency could be due to the fact they are so high in zinc. More zinc results in more testosterone and numerous studies show it.
Low Testosterone Treatment Options
There are are many different ways to raise testosterone, but some of them can be quite unpleasant or even dangerous.
Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT)
These treatments are carried out under a doctor’s supervision and involve putting synthetic testosterone into the body. It’s possible to do this in several ways.
- Testosterone Pills: These tend to come in one of two forms. The first type is swallowed. The second goes under the tongue or between the lips and gums. As it dissolves it passes through the skin and into the blood.
- Creams and Gels: These are massaged into the skin.
- Patches: These work in a similar way to the nicotine patches some people use as smoking cessation aids. The only difference is they contain testosterone instead of nicotine.
- Injections: Testosterone injections are one of the least pleasant options. The testosterone is delivered via intramuscular injection.
- Implants: Slightly more invasive than an injection. In this case, tiny testosterone pellets are implanted under the skin. As they dissolve they deliver a regular supply of testosterone to the blood.
Unfortunately, TRT is not without its risks. It can have side effects and, in some cases, can even be dangerous.
Let’s not forget, TRT is actually forcing synthetic testosterone on the body. That’s very different from eating testosterone-boosting foods.
Food is natural. The body is designed to utilize its goodness. The nutrients it provides encourage the body to produce more of its own testosterone. It’s a very gentle and natural way to do it.
Synthetic testosterone has very little to do with Mother Nature.
Many men have had problems with TRT. This has lead to numerous lawsuits. In some cases, the resulting compensation checks have been for millions of dollars.
This is an option some bodybuilders find attractive. Steroids don’t boost testosterone levels though. In fact, using them suppresses normal testosterone production. Like TRT, steroids forces synthetic hormones into the body.
Anabolic steroids can be very good for helping people to pack on extra muscle and increase their strength. They can be just as efficient at damaging the health. Steroids are bad news.
They are also illegal to use and many of them are produced in underground labs. So when they make people ill there can be no compensation claims.
Testosterone Boosting Supplements
Easily the gentlest and most natural option. These natural testosterone boosters contain ingredients that help the body produce more of its own testosterone. They have more in common with testosterone boosting foods than TRT or steroids.
Some of the best natural testosterone boosters belong to a special class of supplements called legal steroids. They provide an advanced formulation of ingredients that is as powerful as steroids but does not present any of the risks.
Other testosterone boosters are aimed at men struggling with virility problems. Still others are marketed towards men who are trying to defy the aging process.
Although some formulations are not as powerful as others, they all do the same thing. They boost testosterone production within the body. It’s their ability to do this that is important, not the way they are marketed.
The best testosterone boosters contain vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and herbal extracts. There are no chemicals involved.
Here’s a short list of popular testosterone boosting ingredients:
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D3
- D-Aspartic Acid
- Ashwagandha Extract
- Red Ginseng
- Nettle Leaf
- Mucuna Pruriens
When combined in the right amounts and combinations, these ingredients can deliver astounding results.
More importantly, they work in harmony with the body instead of forcing something foreign inside it.
Things to Look for In Testosterone Boosting Supplements
1. Effective Ingredients Included In Adequate Amounts
Obviously, a good testosterone booster needs to contain effective ingredients. That alone is not enough. The quantities have to be right as well. Many manufacturers try to cut costs by scrimping on ingredients. This allows them to make more profit. They often hide what they have done by bundling ingredients together in proprietary blends.
When they add the proprietary blend to the label, they only state the combined weight of the ingredients and such blends often contain quite a few.
Proprietary blends make it difficult for industry experts and product reviewers to provide an accurate evaluation and let people know what such products are likely to do.
When a product consists of one or more proprietary blends it’s best to avoid it. The same holds true for products that fail to provide a complete list of ingredients.
Some supplements are sold from websites that don’t provide any details about the company behind them. In many cases, the only means of contact is an email address or an online form. This should be seen as a red flag. Ask yourself what they are trying to hide.
Reputable companies make it easy for customers to contact them and often provide a business address.
Good Customer Reviews
Good customer reviews are also important. The best people to say how well a product works are the ones who are using it or have used it in the past.
Obvious Pricing Information
If a company does not reveal how much a product costs and tries to encourage you to accept a free trial bottle, run a mile
The manufacturers that offer this kind of deal generally ask you to pay a small charge for postage. The free trial offer is often just a way to get you to part with your card details. It’s typical with the auto-ship scam. Once they have your details they keep sending you more pills and hit your card with charges again and again.
Money Back Guarantee
A money back guarantee is also a good sign. It shows the manufacturer is confident its product will work. It also means you have nothing to lose. If you are not happy, you can get your money back.